Montbozon is one of one hundred and fifty municipalities benefiting from a remarkable heritage. The concept of Small Towns of Character aims to preserve and enhance its atypical municipalities, both rural by their location, their limited population, their history and their heritage.
Crossed by the Ognon, Montbozon, an authentic village of 600 inhabitants, has a remarkable heritage. Several old houses make up its historic center. The old Rousselot house, fortified house and former Jesuit college XV-XVI, classified "Historical monuments" (visit by appointment). The old Dominican hospital which was created in 1450 (Private), the castle rebuilt in the 17th century, the Church of the Nativity of Notre Dame, the beautiful Swan fountain and its source. The nautical base offers several canoe / kayak circuits. The 26 km green path is 500m from the establishment. The village has a certain notoriety coming from its artisanal biscuit factory whose secret recipe of the real biscuit of Montbozon, goes back to King Louis XVI "The King of desserts, The dessert of the Kings". The village is ideally placed to discover the many assets of the region.
Clic on the photos to scroll and zoom
The former Dominicain convent
The Dominican convent was built around 1440 by Philibert DE VAUDREY and his wife Catherine DE-RAY. In 1452 they built the church and built a hospital for 6 men and 6 women, there were 30 to 40 Dominicans.
In 1791 their property was declared national property, it is the king's prosecutor Mr BEFORT who receives them, the hospital becomes the presbytery. Since then the convent has had several owners.
The church of la Nativité de Notre-Dame
The Church of the Nativity of Notre-Dame, which was built in 1744, houses a 15th century Gothic sanctuary (relics of St SEBASTIEN). It is listed as a historical monument in 2003 on a request dating from 1960.
The typically Franc-Comtois bell tower in glazed tiles with the particularity of being rectangular (5m x 8 m); the stained glass windows, donated by wealthy families, date from 1870. The choir of the church has ceramic paving.
The church itself was partly rebuilt in the 18th century and several paintings or objects of worship are part of the heritage: you can see carved wooden stalls from the 16th century and canvases from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
Le dessert des roi, le roi des desserts
Cliquez sur les photos pour faire defiler et zoomer
Montbozon village that rejuvenates
The town hall of Montbozon, built in 1877, included the boys' school on the ground floor. Upstairs there was the institute's accommodation, the town hall and a justice of the peace room removed in 1958. We can still read on the facade: "school - justice of the peace - town hall".
Montbozon offers a rich heritage full of charms, a pleasant quality of life that seeks to improve and enhance itself.
The services remain present in Montbozon and extend to the surroundings: the post office, a bank, a bakery, a pharmacy, a doctor, a dentist, a hairdresser, a Tobacconist, a mini-market, a fast food (locle, pizza to take away. ..), guest rooms, a funeral home ...
The rural house
The orphanage created in 1880 welcomed children since the age of 2, it will close in 1958. It is in 1961 that it will become a family house of agriculture which depends on 2 ministries: that of national education and that of of agriculture. 380 students in alternation follow a diversified education there from the 4th to the BTS. This school grew in importance and in 2008 a second house was built for teaching public works. during school holidays, summer camps occupy the premises.
A school is attested from 1272 and it is one of the first in Franche-Comté. The girls' school was in a building built in 1845 with a pediment representing a pelican which tears out its heart to feed its young.
In 2011 the building lost its function and became a multi-reception center (crèche, day nursery) and relay for childminders.
A new educational center equipped with a canteen and extra-curricular reception replaces the school, welcoming children from 8 municipalities.
L'Ognon au coeur de l'activité touristique
The Ognon divides the village in two and makes the happiness of the campers and the fishermen because it is very full of fish (trout, pike, carp, pikeperch, perch ...)
The municipal campsite of "between two bridges" has 33 sites, located between the Ognon and its canal which supplied the mill of the orphanage.
A playground for children, many hiking trails that connect different points of the village as well as an acro branches park (ACRO'CIME) in the neighboring town of Thienans, complete the tourist offer.
Walks and cycling
Access to the green cycling and pedestrian path from the exit of Montbozon, a former railway line which links Vasoul to Loulans Verchamp for about 30 km. A study is underway to reach Besançon.
La "boucle des jours fous" is a walking circuit of about 5 km around Montbozon.